Inside this article
- Can I change chart colors?
- Why is my chart not showing all my data?
- Can I manually resize charts?
- Can I change how information is ordered in my chart?
How to use charts
There are two ways to create charts in Coda - from the plus menu, or from a Table's layout options. Let's start with the + menu.
- Click the + menu and select Chart
- Select the type of chart you would like to build in Coda
- Select the table or view you want Coda to use to build the chart
If you're already working on a table that you want to turn into a chart, you'll take the following steps:
- Click the layout icon in the header of your table and select Chart
2. Select the type of chart that you want to build
Watch a video about charts
Inside of Coda, there are a wide variety of chart types to choose from:
- Gantt Charts: You'll need either start and end date fields or start date and duration fields
- Bar Chart: If you prefer, you can select your values to be stacked and can change the axis
- Pie Chart: You'll select a category you want to use to create your pie slices
- Line Chart: You can choose a smooth or angled line as well as whether or not you'd like to see each individual point.
- Area Chart: Like Bar Charts, you can stack your lines as well
- Scatter Chart: This will allow you to see each point independently without linking them with lines
- Bubble Chart: You'll need to select which attribute in your table you would like to contribute to the size of the bubble
Working with charts
No matter the chart type you are working with, you'll have access to the chart customization menu when you open the layout icon:
In this menu, you'll be able to toggle between Data and Layout menus. Let's start with the Data menu. Here you can decide the following:
- Axis: Decide how you want to summarize your data
- Values: Identify the information you want to explore
- Segment By: View data by type to compare and contrast (Note: this is not available on all chart types
Under the Layout menu, you'll set up all the customized attributes based on the chart type, for example - stacking, orientation, smoothing lines or customizing the vertical axis.
You may also want to take a closer look at a part of your chart. Not a problem! Simply click and drag on the portion of the chart you want to zoom in to:
Can I change chart colors?
At this time, the colors of your chart are set automatically. Stay tuned for updates!
Why is my chart not showing all my data?
If you notice something is missing from your chart, it's most likely because a value in one of the rows is not able to be calculated - maybe you have a bit of text in the middle of a column of numbers. Double check that your table data all matches the same format.
Can I manually resize charts?
Charts automatically resize with your window - so you can use all the space available to see data, and not have to scroll when you're on a small screen.
Can I change how information is ordered in my chart?
Definitely! Head to the sort menu to update how information is ordered in your chart.