Inside this article
- Can I see all the buttons in my doc?
- How do I create a form with a button?
- Can I notify a person with a button?
With buttons, you can add even more interaction to your Coda docs allowing you to turn your doc into a customized app for your team.
How to use buttons
- Click the + icon
- Select Control then Button
- Name your button so it will be easy to reference elsewhere in your doc
- Give it a label - in other words what do you want the button to look like
- Assign an action to your button - actions can include: adding a row, modifying a row, delete rows, or push other buttons
- In addition to assigning a pre-determined action, you can choose to assign a formula to your button by clicking the f icon
7. Your other option in the button menu is to disable your button under conditions you decide to set in the Disable IF field
8. Lastly, you can choose the color of your button, assign an icon, and set the badge value:
Watch a video about buttons
The button column format
In addition to creating buttons from the control menu, you can set any column's format to be a button as well. In the format menu, you'll be able to set the exact same parameters as before:
Some button examples
In the example above, each button is set to add rows to the RSVP table, and we're using the =User() formula to capture the person's details:
Mark all tasks complete
In this button set up, we're modifying rows instead:
Emoji or formula buttons
In this example, we're adding rows to a table in another section and then creating a canvas formula to count the number of responses:
Buttons that push buttons
One of the actions a button can take is pushing another button (or buttons!). This is helpful when you want to take multiple actions at once. In the example below, we're using one button to push multiple "Add Tasks" button to add three tasks in one click.
Can I see all the buttons in my doc?
Yes! If you want to see all of your buttons, go to the Doc Map. You'll see a section called References. You can expand that section to see all your buttons. If you click any of the entries, Coda will automatically take you to the button in your doc.
How do I create a form with a button?
When setting up your button, choose to "Show Record" at the very bottom of the set up menu. If your button creates a new row, this will cause the row detail to pop out like a form where you or your users can add information.
Can I notify a person with a button?
Yes! You'll choose the Notify action from the Action dropdown menu.