Inside this article
- Can I add a Section which shows a Section from another doc?
- How are Sections and Views related?
- Can I hide a specific section from someone?
How to use Sections and Folders
- Add a Folder - Simply click + New at the bottom of the section list on the left-hand side, and choose Folder.
- Add a Section - Click + New at the bottom of the Section list on the left-hand side of your document, and select Section. Then, to give your Section a name, right-click the Section and type in your title.
- Move a Section - You can drag-and-drop Sections into any of your folders to collect them under a specific theme keeping your doc organized for you and your team.
- Delete a Section or Folder - Hover over the section or folder name and click the ... icon, and choose Delete.
- Rename a Section of Folder - Hover over the section or folder name and click the ... icon, and choose Rename.
Watch a video about Sections and Folders
Organization best practices
Sections are portions of the document dedicated to specific information - think of them like tabs in a spreadsheet.
For example, you could create a Section for each person involved in a project, or a Section for each element or phase of a project. Each Section has all the elements of a familiar document editor or spreadsheet, but with a little bit of extra magic.
Folders sit one level above, and can contain multiple Sections. You can use Folders to organize groups of information - for example, all Sections which contain raw data, or all Sections which pertain to specific project tasks. Using folders and sections allow you to keep your Coda doc clear, organized, and personalized for you and your team.
Planning how your documents grow
Your doc can grow in many different ways, and you'll know your needs better than anyone else. As a best practice for organization when you collaborate with others, it's a great idea to build an initial structure that introduces your doc to the world! Some of our favorites are:
- A Welcome to this Doc Section highlighting what the doc is for and how to use it. It's a good first impression, and sets the tone for your awesome doc.
- A Core Tables Section which houses the underlying tables that power the rest of the doc.
- A Team View Section which gives your team their own workspace so they don't step on anybody's toes and can customize to their hearts' content.
Take a look at this example for some inspiration:
Can I add a Section which shows a Section from another doc?
Not right now, but we're thinking about how to bring something like this to life in our roadmap. Stay tuned!
How are Sections and Views related?
Sections let you organize your doc, and each section can be used in different ways depending on what you need. You can capture the vision of your project, track your tasks and milestones, present a roadmap to your team, or anything else you can dream up.
Views, on the other hand, are synchronized representations of your table data that can be put anywhere in your doc - within a single Section or across Sections - whatever you prefer!
Can I hide a specific Section from someone?
At this time, we do not support Section level access control. But, we want to hear from users like you about what you would expect to see. If you have feedback or a bright idea, send it our way at firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay tuned!