To get started quickly, use the following button:
Otherwise, read on to learn how to connect your Coda account to Slack to power things like easier sharing, more context and details when you paste links in Slack, and the option to have notifications from Coda automatically shared with you in Slack. For more on how to make custom applications, automations and integrations for Slack using Coda, please see this FAQ.
What is Coda Bot for Slack?
When you connect to Slack in your Coda Account Settings, you unlock the following features:
- Improved previews for Coda links shared in Slack. Whether you share a link to a doc, a page, or a row, everyone in the discussion will see previews that provide context on which doc contains the content being shared, with links to go directly to the referenced content.
- Easier sharing. We’ve all done it ー you Slack someone a link, and they don’t have permission to view it. Now, when you share a Coda link in a DM or Channel, you’ll be notified if your Slack audience doesn’t have access to the doc with options to share with conversation members or your entire team right from Slack! (You can also skip this and retain the doc sharing settings.)
- Slack directory integration. Members of your Slack workspace are easily searchable when @-mentioning people, adding them to a “people” column in a table, or sharing a doc with them.
- Get notified in Slack. When you @-mention someone in a comment or a doc, Coda Bot for Slack will alert the @-mentioned user(s) so they can quickly find their mention and respond or take action. Added bonus: Coda Bot aggregates these for each user in Slack, so you don’t have to search through all of the comments in a doc to find where you’re mentioned!
How do I connect Coda to Slack in my Coda Account Settings?
- Navigate to coda.io/account
- Scroll down to the “Other Integrations” section
- Click “Connect” for Slack
Please note that this is a separate connection and authorization from the one you must establish to use the Slack Pack to create custom integrations with Slack. If you wish to disconnect this integration, you can return to this screen and select “Disconnect.”
Once you’ve connected the Slack integration, Coda Bot for Slack will message team members in your Slack workspace that also have Coda accounts with a link to sign-in as well. This helps them get the same benefits in Slack; they can manage their individual settings and preferences from coda.io/account.
A note on permissions & security
As with any third-party integration, Coda & Slack need to exchange some information to power Coda Bot. Thankfully, the team at Slack introduced granular permissions, which ensures we only request the information required for Coda Bot to send you notifications, let you search your Slack directory for sharing, etc.
A note on notifications
If you have opted to receive email notifications for comments and mentions in Coda, you may receive duplicative notifications via Coda Bot for Slack.
- You can manage your email preferences in your account settings by following the steps in this FAQ.
- You can also control whether you receive notifications for All Comments, or just for Mentions & Subscribed comments in an individual doc by opening the Explore panel, typing “Notifications” and making your selection in that doc.
For more on how to get the most out of Coda + Slack, check out this Quickstart Guide from our Doc Gallery.